Kornu Mohan Laxmi1 and V.V.S. Kesava Rao2
1Part time PhD scholar, Department of Mechanical Engineering, College of Engineering(A), Andhra University, Visakhapatnam, India
2Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, College of Engineering(A), Andhra University, Visakhapatnam, India
Vol 2(1), pp. 1-24, December, 2020
Copyright © 2020 Author(s) and Skies Educational.
This article is published under the terms of the Creative Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0
Development of a country will lead to increased utilization and demand for energy. In this research study, transient simulation technique is implemented and eventually, the cooling load of the house is determined. The study focused to provide cooling load characteristics for a residential house. The factors namely: size and shape, thermophysical properties, window systems, orientation, internal gains, ventilation and infiltration aspects that influence the cooling load are considered in the study. A dynamic simulation software-TRNSYS (Transient Systems Simulation Program) is used for the modelling and simulation of the energy flows of the house to determine the cooling thermal load. The study is useful in providing a better solution for a sustainable future by simulating with different design modifications of the house. This study may be extended to focus on the choice of constructional materials, so that good temperature and lower cooling load are attained. A case study of a residential building is situated in the coastal district of Andhra Pradesh, India and located at Latitude (17.68o N) and longitude (83.21oE) is considered to find cooling load through TRNSYS 16.
Keywords: Cooling load, Tropical region, Simulation, ventilation
- B.L.Gupta, Naveen Jha, Dhawal Vyas and Amit Daiya (2017), Performance Analysis of Solar Thermal Cooling System for an Office Building in Indian Climates using Flat Plate Collector, International Journal of Engineering and Techniques, Vol. 3, No. 4, pp. 36-40.
- Carlos Naranjo-Mendoza and D.R. Rousse (2013), Modeling of a solar absorption cooling system for Guayaquil, Ecuador, DOI: 10.1109/ICRERA. 2013. 6749870.
- Carolina Aparicio-Fernández, José-Luis Vivancos, Paula Cosar-Jorda and Richard A. Buswell (2019), Energy Modelling and Calibration of Building Simulations: A Case Study of a Domestic Building with Natural Ventilation, Energies, Vol. 12, No. 3360, pp. 1-13.
- Cristina Baglivo, Paolo Maria Congedo ID , Matteo Di Cataldo , Luigi Damiano Coluccia and Delia D’Agostino (2017), Envelope Design Optimization by Thermal Modelling of a Building in a Warm Climate, Energies, Vol. 10, No. 1808, pp. 1-34.
- Farraj F. Al-ajmia1, Mohammad T.A. Alkhamisa, Hana M. Alsaeida (2017), Parametric simulation for energy-efficient building design of Kuwaiti domestic buildings, Journal of Buildings and Sustainability, Vol. 01, No. 01, pp. 48-60.
- Franck Lucas, Thierry A. Mara, François Garde, Harry Boyer (1998), A Comparison between CODYRUN and TRNSYS, simulation models for thermal buildings behaviour, Word Renewable Energy Congress, Sep 1998, Florence, Italy, pp. 1-10.
- Hani H. Sait (2013), Estimated Thermal Load and Selecting of Suitable Air-Conditioning Systems for a Three Story Educational Building, The 3rd International Conference on Sustainable Energy Information Technology (SEIT 2013), Procedia Computer Science, Vol. 19, pp. 636-645.
- Le, Khoa Xuan; Huang, Ming Jun; and Hewitt, Neil J. (2018), Domestic High-Temperature Air Source Heat Pump: Performance Analysis Using TRNSYS Simulations, 5th International High-Performance Buildings Conference at Purdue, July 9-12, 2018, No. 3636, pp. 1-10.
- Luca Evangelisti, Gabriele Battista, Claudia Guattari, Carmine Basilicata and Roberto de LietoVollaro (2014), Analysis of Two Models for Evaluating the Energy Performance ofDifferent Buildings, Sustainability, Vol. 2014, No. 6, pp. 5311-5321.
- Matteo Dongellinia, MassimilianoAbbenantea and Gian Luca Morini (2016), Energy performance assessment of the heating system refurbishment on a school building in Modena, Italy, 71st Conference of the Italian Thermal Machines Engineering Association, ATI2016, 14-16 September 2016, Turin, Italy, Energy Procedia, No. 101, pp. 948-955.
- Nilufer Egrican and Alpay Akguc (2011), Thermal Performance Estimation of the Office Building with the Building Integrated Photovoltaic System, Proceedings of the ASME 2011 5th International Conference on Energy Sustainability, August 7-10, 2011, Washington, DC, USA, pp.1-11.
- Petrus Tri Bhaskoro and Syed Ihstham UI HaqGilani (2011), Transient Cooling Load Characteristics of an Academic Building, using TRNSYS, Journal of Applied Sciences, Vol. 11, No.10, pp.1777-1783.
- Wenting Ma, Moon Keun Kim and JianliHao (2019), Numerical Simulation Modeling of a GSHP and WSHP System for an O_ce Building in the Hot Summer and Cold Winter Region of China: A Case Study in Suzhou, Sustainability 2019, Vol.11, No.3282, pp.1-17.
- Y. Takahashi, G. Yoon, M. Yoshinaga, and R. Chiba (2014), Comparative Study On Simulation Tools Of Annual Heat Load For Energy Management, A SIMU 2014-IBPSA Asia Conference, Nagoya, Japan, November 28-29.
- YamiléDíaz-Torres, Yarelis Valdivia-Noda, José Pedro Monteagudo-Yanes and Yudit Miranda-Torres (2017). Application of building energy simulation in the validating of operational strategies of HVAC systems on a tropical hotel, IngenieríaMecánica, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 31-38.
CrossRef Citation (0)
Google Scholar Citations
Kornu Mohan Laxmi is a PhD scholar, Department of Mechanical Engineering, College of Engineering(A), Andhra University, Visakhapatnam, India
V.V.S. Kesava Rao is a Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, College of Engineering(A), Andhra University, Visakhapatnam, India
CrossRef Article Metrics